This page contains information on the latest vacant posts within DoC, with the relevant application form to complete.
- Applications must be submitted on the Application for Employment form (Z.83) [PDF] 31 kb.
- The completed and signed form Z83 should be accompanied by a recently updated, comprehensive CV as well as certified copies of all qualification(s) and ID-document. The certification must be within three (3) months. Should you be in possession of a foreign qualification, it must be accompanied by an evaluation certificate from the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA). Applicants who do not comply with the above-mentioned requirements, as well as applications received late, will not be considered. Failure to submit all the requested documents will result in the application not being considered.
- Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within three (3) months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
- All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to a technical exercise that intends to test relevant technical elements of the job. Following the interview and technical exercise, the selection panel will recommend candidates to attend a generic managerial competency assessment (in compliance with the DPSA Directive on the implementation of competency based assessments). The competency assessment will be testing generic managerial competencies using the mandated DPSA SMS competency assessment tools.
- Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personnel suitability check (criminal record, citizenship, credit record checks, qualification verification and employment verification).
- Forward your application, quoting the relevant reference number and the name of the publication in which you saw this advertisement, to: The DG, Department of Communications, Private Bag X745, Pretoria, 0001 or hand delivered to Tshedimosetso House, 1035 Francis Baard Street, Hatfield, Pretoria
The DoC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with disabilities are welcome to apply. Applications must be submitted on Form Z83, obtainable from any Public Service department and be accompanied by a comprehensive curriculum vitae and certified copies of qualifications and identity document. (Failure to comply with these requirements will result in the application being disqualified). Certification stamp must not be older than three months. Suitable candidates will be subjected to a personal suitability check (criminal record, citizenship, credit record checks, and qualification and employment verification).
For vacancies at other government departments, see Vacancies on the Department of Public Service and Administration (DPSA) website
Director-General (5 year renewable contract)
Salary: Remuneration package: R1 689 750 per annum plus 10% non-pensionable allowance (the all-inclusive remuneration package consists of a basic salary, the State’s contribution to the Government Employees Pension Fund, a medical fund and a flexible portion in terms of applicable rules).
Requirements: Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (NQF level 7) and a post graduate qualification (NQF level 8) as recognized by SAQA Experience: 8 to 10 years of experience at senior management level (at least 3 years of which must be with any organ of State as defined in the Constitution, Act 108 of 1996). Successful track record in making presentations and negotiations. Skills: Demonstrated skills and experience in the development and execution of communications policies, legislations and related activities. Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills at all levels. Innovative and creative thinking, computer literacy Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at a time. Job Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of the South African communications landscape, including broadcasting and other legislations applicable to the communications sector such as the Broadcasting Act, 1999 (Act 4 of 1999), Independent Communications Authority of South Africa Act, 2000 (Act 13 of 2000), as amended, Films and Publications Board Act, 1996 (Act 65 of 1996, as amended), Media Development and Diversity Agency Act, 2002 (Act 14 of 2002), Public Finance Management Act, 1999 (Act 1 of 1999 as amended). Competencies Required: Strategic capability and leadership, financial management, problem solving and analysis, people management and empowerment, project management, knowledge management, change management, service delivery innovation.
Duties: Reporting to the Minister, the Director-General will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction in delivering the mandate of the Department. Build a competitive broadcasting industry and maximizing investment. Develop an overarching National Communications Policy for the country. Develop a structured stakeholder engagement strategy to ensure informed stakeholders that extend the reach of government’s communication effort. Provide efficient and effective oversight support to state owned enterprises to ensure their stability, sustainability and performance. Implement effective strategic management processes and procedures in line with the relevant legislations and regulations in order to meet the strategic objectives of the department. Broaden participation in the communications sector to boost economic development and transformation. Provide effective and timely support to the Minister and Deputy Minister, including participation in the Forum of South African Directors-General Cluster’s work.
Note: The successful candidate must disclose to the Minister particulars of all registrable financial interests and sign the employment contract with one month from the date of assumption of duty as well as sign a performance agreement with the Minister within three months from the date of assumption of duty.