Ms Rosey Sekese
From humble beginnings, Rosey Sekese’s career has transformed significantly over the years, spanning across nearly the entire breath and length of the telecommunications industry. An electrical engineer by training from the University of Cape Town, Ms Sekese also holds an MBA, generally regarded around the world as the premier business qualification, and has attended a number of programmes to further develop her specialised skills such as project management and executive development.
As the Accounting Officer of the Department, the Director-General supports the Minister of Communications Ms Dina Pule and the Deputy-Minister Ms Stella Ndabeni in their implementation of Government's Policies. This is achieved through providing strategic leadership and direction in delivering the mandate of the Department. She also oversees the development of Information and Communication Technology policies and strategies that will place the country at the cutting edge of development in the ICT environment in order to meet the strategic objectives of the country. She is responsible for ensuring that the provision of ICT infrastructure is robust, reliable, affordable, secure and able to support a multiplicity of applications and services. Ms Sekese also plans and directs the Department's activities to assist in achieving Government's objectives and aligns the DoC priorities with broader Government objectives by participating in FOSAD clusters. Also included in her role is supporting the Minister in providing leadership, guidance and oversight support to ICT State-Owned Entities and other entities to drive the ICT agenda, as the delivery arms of government
Key Career Highlights
Ms Sekese was appointed by the Minister of Communications on the 1st of June after having previously worked in the Department of Communications, as Deputy Director General ICT Infrastructure Development, from 2006 to 2011. During this period she was responsible for five (5) Chief Directorates namely: 2010 Telecommunications and Broadcasting, Information Technology, Radio and Satellite Communications, ICT Infrastructure and Applications, and ICT Security.
One of the key highlights of Ms Sekese was the delivery of the FIFA 2010 WORLD CUP Information Communications Technology guarantees where she was the champion of the project, providing strategic leadership, and programme management.
Previous Work Experience
Ms Sekese started her career at ESKOM as an Engineer in Training and later as an Engineer responsible for National Telecommunications between 1995 and 1998
- She was a Senior Engineer at Telkom and was responsible for the planning of Public IP Network and the ATM networks.
- She was Senior Business Solution Consultant for the Marketing and Sales Division of Telkom SA (Pty) Ltd. from 2001 to 2004,.
- She worked for Denel as a Group Manager for Information Technologybetween 2004 and 2006. Ms Sekese was responsible for the centralisation of all the divisional IT Departments and also oversaw the implementation of a number of strategic key projects.
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering in Telecommunications from the University of Cape Town
- Master’s in Business Administration at the North-West University, Potchefstroom Business School.
- Senior Executive Development Programme at Pretoria University
- Diploma in Advanced Project Management