Date: 23 to 25 October 2018
The Free State Provincial Government in collaboration with the Department of Communications, will host a three-day colloquium on broadcast digital migration on 23-25 October, at PACOFS, in Bloemfontein.
The objectives of the colloquium will be to;
- Enhance the communication and awareness and education of the migration programme;
- Fast track the viewer migration element in the areas of registrations, distributions and installations;
- Solicit assistance with the acquisition and distribution of migration devices.
- Create a platform for content providers, local media and other members of the value chain to network and identify opportunities that comes from the project;
- Attract local installers and grow the Free State provincial database;
- Deliberate on current trends within the broadcasting industry in the province; and
- Host discussions on current and imminent developments in the industry.
Institutions such as ICASA, Sentech, Multichoice and other TV insitutions, the South African Post Office, USAASA, GCIS and private industry colleagues, will be readily available to share information as part of the broader discussions.
The Community of the Free State is therefore encouraged to visit the colloquium for Digital Migration services and information on site.
The Free State Province is proud to be the first province to be switched off in in December, 2018, with a total number of 117 transmitters - 106 for SABC, 17 for etv – to be switched off.
It is anticipated that the switch off of analogue broadcasting will unlock opportunities for the Free State citizens and businesses.
The Free State Provincial Government is hopeful that the new revised delivery model recently adopted by National Cabinet, will foster inclusive participation, and create an environment for private sector and industry collaboration and partnerships.
“We are working in collaboration with the Department of Communication’s project management office to inform viewers of the pending switch off and to assist with viewer registrations in all towns in the province. The Free State is ready to go digital”, said Premier Ntombela.
Setjhaba K. Maphalla
Office of the Premier, Free State Provincial Government
Cell: 071 302 2591
Department of Communications
Cell: 082 469 3997