12 June 2019
Presidential Commission on the Fourth Industrial Revolution meets to establish a roadmap towards developing South Africa’s 4IR Strategy
The Minister of Communications, Ms Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams, welcomes the swift action taken by the Presidential Commission on the Fourth Industrial Revolution to concretise its workplan. On Saturday, 8 June 2019, the Commission held its first work session at the University of Johannesburg, to develop a high-level roadmap towards achieving its set objectives; as well as to establish and assign technical workstreams.
The Commission has committed to produce the strategy document to guide South Africa’s 4IR Vision by March 2020; this will be preceded by a broad consultative process with relevant stakeholders. The commissioners further established and assigned the workstreams as follows:
- The Infrastructure and Resources workstream will be chaired by Andile Ngcaba.
- The Research, Technology and Innovation workstream will be chaired by Dr Thulani Dlamini.
- The Economic and Social impact workstream will be chaired by Mr Rob Shutter.
- The workstream on Human Capital and the Future of Work will chaired by Ms Beth Arendse.
- The workstream on Industrialisation and Commercialisation will be chaired by Ms Nomvula Mkhonza.
- The Policy and Legislation workstream will be chaired by Ms Charmaine Houvet.
The 31-member Commission was established by President Cyril Ramaphosa and is mandated to advise government on 4IR policies, develop a framework for implementation of a multi-sectoral 4IR strategy; and coordinate, monitor and evaluate multi-sectoral initiatives that will position South Africa as a globally competitive player in 4IR.
The commission is set to meet with its chairperson, President Ramaphosa within the next few months.
Cell: 073 222 5522